So I popped back home to the Northern Beaches this morning and spent a lovely couple of hours with her. She's a smart little cookie and I'm thrilled to say that she completed her first sewing project - this very huggable cushion.
I pre-cut the fabric to save time but made about 4 times what was needed to give her lots of choices. Do you like the colours she chose?
Here are the measurements to make a 50 cm x 50 cm cushion (using a 1 cm seam allowance).
- Cut 1 piece = 52 cm x 52 cm (for the back of the cushion)
- Cut 2 pieces = 17 cm x 52 cm (for the left and right sides)
- Cut 3 pieces = 12 cm x 22 cm (the thick centre strips)
- Cut 4 pieces = 7 cm x 22 cm (the thin centre strips)
- You will also need a Size 20 cushion insert.
- Join the centre strips in any order you like. (We alternated thin and thick.) Press the seams.
- Join the left, centre and right strips. Press.
- Sew the front to the back (with right sides together), leaving an opening.
- Turn right side out and put in the cushion insert.
- Hand-sew the opening closed.
Except for the hand-sewing, my niece made the whole cushion herself! She is clearly a problem-solver and likes to work things out for herself. I am so pleased.