Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pentagons and Puzzle Balls

It's been a while since I last used my wonderful electronic cutter, so when Doris (who organises the Hexagon Flower Swap on Our Craft Forum) asked me to make some pentagon templates for her, I was more than happy to oblige.

I cut out a pack of card pentagons in no time at all, and while I was at it I thought why not cut some for myself too. A change from sewing hexies could be nice, so I also cut out some fabric penties. Oh, I don't think I should call them that. Fabric pentagons it is.


When Doris mentioned that she was making pentagons, I was reminded of my first ever patchwork project, made when I was about 12 years old. It was a ball made from felt pentagons in baby colours, blanket-stitched together, made for my guitar teacher's pregnant wife. Thanks for teaching me Mum!

I was also reminded of a FANTASTIC book by Jinny Beyer called Patchwork Puzzle Balls. I don't know what happened to my copy, but I remember that as well as having great piecing projects - from simple to complex - it had some really smart patterns to help you assemble the different balls.


It's getting late so I'll have to wait till tomorrow night to have a go at stitching this pentagon ball.



And I am tempted to try making this one too. It looks like a mix of pentagons and triangles, but I think I might need a pattern for assembling this one. I'm glad this book is still available as I think I might have to buy another copy.



Ooh, I just discovered the Free Patterns section on jinnybeyer.com so I'm going to rush off now. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment